When eight of the world’s best and brightest women working in space exploration come together, magic happens. The first Women in Space Exploration (WiSE) Talks series hosted by PISCES featured a week of virtual presentations by women sharing the robotic exploration of our solar system, off-world habitats, and future human space missions.
Sponsored by Microsoft and Hawaii Science and Technology Museum, WiSE Talks was started to safely engage and inspire young women to pursue STEM-related space careers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The WiSE Talks were truly inspiring,” said Mark Dowd, a digital advisor at Microsoft and key supporter for the WiSE Talks program. “All the participating women space professionals delivered exciting and impactful presentations throughout the week. Clearly STEM is cool!”
In light of the program’s success, PISCES plans to continue the WiSE Talks series to provide greater access to valuable learning opportunities and career resources for students as the COVID-19 pandemic continues.
Recordings for the full series are available to view on the WiSE Talks webpage. Educators or nonprofits interested in utilizing the recordings for educational purposes should inquire through our contact page.
WiSE Talks – Fall 2020 Presenters:
- Miriam Fuchs, Astrophysicist and WiSE Talks Host
- Jessica Dempsey, Deputy Director at East Asian Observatory/JCMT
- Nagin Cox, Spacecraft Ops. Engineer at NASA JPL
- Emily Calandrelli, Science TV Host and MIT Engineer
- Sara Langberg, Engineer at AeroVironment
- Monsi Roman, Microbiologist and Program Manager for Centennial Challenges at NASA JSC
- Amanda Hendrix, Sr. Planetary Scientist at the Planetary Institute
- Barbara Belvisi, CEO and Founder of Interstellar Lab