Space & Science Summer Camp
The STARS Mission
Since 2014, STARS has sought to address this issue by encouraging young women in STEM-related careers by providing resources, inspiration, and mentorship. The program also strives to improve gender equity and economic opportunities for young women in Hawaiʻi.
STARS was originally inspired by NASA’s successful summer programs for young women and has grown with support and participation by local nonprofits, STEM organizations, and companies like Caterpillar and Microsoft.
Upcoming STARS Programs
Due to funding and staff shortages, we are unable to offer the STARS program this summer. Please check back with us in mid-March of 2023 for an announcement about the next program.
- Dates: Postponed until Summer 2023 (TBA)
- Location: Big Island of Hawaiʻi
- Cost: Free
- Eligibility: Hawaiʻi high school girls, ages 14 +
“STARS really opened my eyes to how amazing certain careers I had previously overlooked can be.”
“STARS exposed me to many different STEM fields, especially on our island. I had so much fun and loved hearing from so many knowledgeable people.”
“I already was sure I was going into science, but the STARS Program boosted my confidence and excitement tremendously. It also gave me a more focused direction on where I want to be and how to get there.”
“STARS validated my feelings about going into aeronautics and becoming a pilot. It opened my mind to how much of a difference I can make in this world.”
- Hawaii Science & Technology Museum
- International Gemini Observatory
- EAO/James Clerk Maxwell Telescope
- Coral Reef Alliance
- Hawaii State DLNR, Division of Forestry & Wildlife
- Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope
- University of Hawaii at Hilo
- ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center
- USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory